Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Moving on.

This morning I got given a book by a patient who is a photographer.
Its a book full of photographs of nude women. He's even written in the front, an inscription dedicated to me. Something tells me someone has had abit too much morphine.

I've not been vomited on.. yet. Well, not on my clothing anyway, but I do regularly get my shoes filled with water while showering people.
I've had blood smeared up my arms and I've had to deal with wounds that smell way worse than any vegetable left in the fridge for too long. I have high maintenance, very wealthy patients who call me to pass them a glass of water, when they can reach it quite easily themselves. They think they're in a hotel, as apposed to a hospital.

I juggle IV lines and personality disorders.
I deal with grieving families and people dying slowly of chronic illness.

I work in a prestigeous private hospital in Australia, and I need a change.

I've been a registered nurse for almost 2 years.
I took me 4 years to do my 3 year training because I got failed in 2nd year for arguing with my facilitator over the correct care of a patient.
I was told I had an attitude problem.

I probably do. I argue still, this time with doctors. I fight for my patients and I'm not intimidated. I have amazing work friends a wonderful but terrifying boss, and overall, an enviable work environment. I'm deskilling in private nursing and I'm bored and frustrated. I've never seen a chest drain, I've not seen an intubation. I've never had to perform CPR on anyone bar the faceless dummy in the Education room.

On a whim after a conversation in the tea room over my future and my education, I applied for a job in the Emergency Medical Unit of a busy multi trauma Public Hospital.

I got the job.

And now I'm petrified and I feel like I want to throw up. I've not seen trauma before. I've got no idea what I'm getting myself in for. There is so much I don't know, and so much I need to learn.
There's alot of wonderful people I am leaving behind.. and the worst part of all.. I have to tell my boss that I'm leaving -- tomorrow.

2 comments:

ryzie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dead Nurse said...

Congratulations on your new job. It sounds like it is a good move for you. I look forward to reading all about it.